Tuesday, March 31, 2015

News at Hand - 2015


Change is afoot! 
And I find, Im needing more than a hand to do so :)
Hello from Woolston.
We have a new home!  In a city where exorbitant rents are rife, and fixed homes happen slowly, our house in Avonside is finally getting fixed. We wont be going back, the repairs are going to take months to complete, and after that the landlord has decided he has had enough and will sell it. How sad it was to say Goodbye to twelve years of memories. And my Garden. Oh dear :(
So here we are.
It took me almost four months to find this place, affordable - only just. And it has no garden to speak of. It has however, carpet without holes or mould, and a gorgeous new bathroom and kitchen. A beautiful kitchen, that means I have space to bake and cook and preserve and ... well its just really blissful!
We have no garage at present, which means we have boxes in the lounge. I went to pick up the keys and asked about the garage plans. Oh no, they said. No immediate plans to build the garage within the next eighteen months, but we will let you know.
The following Saturday, a rather large man knocks at the door. Im Andrew, the builder... About that garage... We start on Monday...

So, we have foundations in place for a huge double block garage. And a carport. And here I was, just hoping for the washing line to be erected... It was another casualty of the EQs :)

No photos as yet. I can find the camera, but have no idea where i put the box with my batteries...
We have had to downsize, sadly, our cat family. Sam and Zander , the old boys. remain and we have at present two kitten and their mother. She came to us as a foster cat who was pregnant. Shes a delight and will make someone a really gorgeous pet. I have the tabby kitten, Trudie, sitting in front of my computer at present. She makes it very hard to type, but shes undeniably cute and gets away with all kinds of things.

So Im just taking stock of what I have by way of seeds, space and enthusiasm. Im a little sad at all the plants I left in my garden, but I reckon theres a reason for change, and maybe the next person who goes into that home will need those plants even more than we did/do.

One observation I have made, is that although we only moved a mile as the crow flies, away from our previous home, the soil here is quite different. Not a lot of nutrients in it, it is very sandy with no *guts*. Plenty of mulch and some compost is needed. Give me time, and it will get what is required, I have started the list already. I also need a new compost bin or two.

We have 2 peach trees here, a golden peach and a (yum!) black boy. The black boys have fallen due to the bad winds we have had in the past two weeks. Ive been boiling them up for breakfast on cereal.
The back section has been subdivided and sold on, so we have what amounts to a very small courtyard garden. I have my pots that have lemon trees and tomatoes and strawberries growing in them. Ive planted pots of dinosaur kale and coloured lettuces to get us through the winter. The yard is sheltered and mainly concrete, so I have to remember to water regularly because things wilt quickly. I also planted two rhubarb crowns so we wont lose that valuable nutrient-filled treat!

Next to go into the garden, is the chilean guava - nz cranberry plant. I love these, if grown efficiently in a hedge form, they smell heavenly - like candy floss in fact! They taste like heaven too if the berries are left til theyre large and juicy!
The kids can be found sitting around the bush when they are ripe :) I hope to let this one grow a bit, then take cuttings. The school could do with some to plant in their edible garden.

Wanting to utilize all my space, I have some wall planters here that I want to plant out with something that will attract bees. I also have my favourite chilli - Rainbow Thai, growing inside on the windowsill. It gets full light and some warmth there too. I hope it will grow well throughout the season, as they are handy to have, but also, they sell well.

So there we go, an update on whats happening. Time to make changes, and to plan for more positive things ahead!
Hoping all is well in your world,
Happy Gardening!!

Earth Butterfly 





1 comment:

  1. I found your blog via trade me. My seach was Sweet Cicilly.
    My name is Lyn. At work lately I am affectionately called Mrs Bee
    My first real garden took just less than 20 years of love and toil in Woolston!
    My earthquake experience was in Brooklands. Another loved garden.
    Eventually rocks and plants moved (after two years of waiting to be red or green) to a 10 acre block on stoney boney ground just around the corner from Eyrewell Not far from Oxford..First the 200 pots adorned a tiny shed and caravan, housing 2 of my 4 children and my husband Michael and I
    ( And dare I say it 4 English Springers and 4 puppies) then the pots moved again to make a garden around the barn. Our next simple home (Maybe not so simple when dealing with snow, no hot running water and another litter of pups!!).....then finally the plants made it into the ground. A new garden is born with paths not straight to a not straight gate.... A very different climate in very difficult soil will all together make a very different garden.

    I work at Mitre 10 Mega garden centre now and have made bee hives and are waiting to get bees. I have 10 acres and not much water, (need another tank) but a BIG passion for birds bees and butterflies.This year I Spent $400 dollars on a car to replace my other old dinger that stopped turning corners, and $200 on seeds!!! Wildflowers galore. We have rules (covernments) here. No race tracks, no pig farming, no store of old rusty cars. No rules though about planting wild flowers!!! Ha ha ha! It's windy here and already my seeds are flying around. My blog for the day..... Good job girl. Good job Earth Butterfly. Regard, Lyn. X

    ReplyDelete